India is at 87th position in the list of 178 countries as far as corruption is concerned in Transparency international’s Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI). It includes both political and bureaucratic corruptions. Transparency International has estimated the annual worth of great Indian corruption market is US$5 billion. And 75% of them are corruptions made by politicians. That is the reason why we live in a rich country but we are poor.
The list of political corruptions/scandals after the independence is huge in number. From 1947-1980, the major political scandals are1971 Nagarwala scandal, Bitumen scam Churhat lottery scam, Tansi land deal and Urea scam. Between 1980and 2000, there were some major corruptions done by politicians and the impact of these scams were so powerful that several governments collapsed due to it. Some of them are Bofors Scandal, Telecom scam, JMM Bribery Scandal, Fodder scam, St Kitts case and Hawala scandal. Rajiv Gandhi’s “Mr. Clean” Image got tarnished in the Bofors scam and he lost 1989 elections. Though, P.V Narasingh Rao is considered as the father of liberalized Indian economy, he had to lose 1996 election due to scams only. In 1996, Lalu Prasad Yadav was forced to leave the chief minister post of Bihar after the insurgence of fodder scam. The major political scams of this decade are Taj corridor case, Oil-for-food program scam, and Cash-for-votes scandal, money laundering above Rs. 4000 crores by Madhu Koda, Ex-chief Minister of Jharkhand and 3G scam.
Reasons behind increasing political scams in India
- In India, the election is not state funded. Now days cost of winning elections are beyond imagination. This is one of the major reasons behind political corruptions.
- Inactive use of Right to information Act by Indian citizens is encouraging politicians to do corruption in a fearless manner.
- Pressure of coalition government is preventing the Prime Minister or Chief Minister to take any stern action against a corrupted politician or minister.
- All the anti-corruption wings are under direct control of Government. Hence, ministers and politicians get an easy way to escape from the charges by pressurizing the Investigation agency.
- Whistle- blowing activities and private sector initiatives against corruption are at their infancy stage in India.
I have mentioned above all the reasons of rising corruption in Indian Politics. Now readers you suggest India all solutions for removing corruption and greed from Indian Politics.
How can we remove corruption from India ?