India, a country with a culture having more than ten thousand years has enriched the global scientific, educational, economic and cultural scenario significantly. That is the reason why mark Twain has stated “India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend and the great grandmother of tradition.” Being born in such a great country, you have millions of reasons to feel proud as an Indian. Some of them are :
1. When the residents of today’s developed nations were living as nomadic forest dwellers, we the Indians, set up Harappa civilization, the first planned city of the world.
2. First university of the world was established in Nalanda (in Modern Bihar) in the year 700BC. More than 60 subjects were taught here to near about 10,500 students who came from different parts of the world.
3. We have never invaded any country in the entire history of 5000 years. Rather, Buddha and Gandhi taught the world the power of non-violence and truth. Recently, American president Barak Obama has openly admitted that Gandhi is an ideal for him.
4. Till 1896, India was the only known source of diamond in the world. Tremendous wealth of India attracted several invaders and traders. Till the invasion of British East India Company, India was the richest country of the world.
5. Number system is the greatest contribution of India to science in general and mathematics in particular. Indian Mathematician Aryabhatta invented zero. Bhaskaracharya, in fifth century, calculated the time taken by earth to rotate around sun exactly. Budhayana calculated the value of pi. Algebra, trigonometry and calculus had their origin India during sixth century.
6. Ayurveda, the earliest school of medicine has its origin in India. Surgery was done for the first time India by Sushrut a 2600 years back.
7. India taught the art of navigation to the world on River Sind 6000 years back. Proof to it is the derivation of the very word navigation from NAVGATIH (a Sanskrit word).
8. According to prominent linguistics, Sanskrit is the mother of all European languages. Forbes magazine has rated Sanskrit as the most suitable language for software applications.